It is related in the Muwatta of Imam Malik ibn Anas, May Allah have Mercy upon him: Yahya related to me from Malik that he heard that Luqman al-Hakim, Peace be upon him, made his will and counseled his son, saying,
My son! Sit with the learned men and keep close to them. Allah gives life to the hearts with the light of wisdom as Allah gives life to the dead earth with the abundant rain of the sky.
- If you are in a prayer, then take care of your heart
- If you are eating, then take care of your throat
- If your are in another man’s house, then take care of your eyes.
- If your are among people, then take care of your tongue.
Remember two matters and forget two matters:
- Remember Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala and death
- Forget any good you have done to another and any evil that was done to you by another.
Hazrat Luqmaan was a devoted slave and his master showed his affection by sometimes cutting some fruit and feeding him. One day the master cut some fruit and as was his practice, fed his devoted slave. Towards the end the master himself had a piece and immedietly spat it out. He scolded Luqmaan for eating the sour tasting fruit without saying anything. At this Luqmaan replied that his master always fed him sweet fruits and so he felt embarrassed about complaining.
Luqman al-Hakim (May Allah be pleased with him) made his will and counselled his son, saying,
“My son! Sit with the learned men and keep close to them. Allah gives life to the hearts with the light of wisdom as Allah gives life to the dead earth with the abundant rain of the sky.”
-Muwatta Imam maalik (rahimahu Llah) –
O my son! Evil is not overcome with evil, set off two fires and see if you can put off one with the other. Evil is overcome with good like fire is put off with water.
– Luqman, the wise –